Monday, August 13, 2012

Commissioned work



Am currently working on a 36" by 28" inch fabric piece on commission. I am using 100% pure organic wool which i ordered from here. If you've worked with felt before, you'd know that they only sell Acrylic or wool blended felt in Singapore. I had asked a couple of other shops and they all say because of the high cost of wool felt, they don't bring them in.  Jennifer of Wool Finch Studio, makes her own felt and hand dyes them into all these pretty colors that you don't find in Spotlight, Daiso or Art Friend and it's really soft compared to the acrylic ones. 

Anyhoo, I underestimated the time it would take to work on this piece, thinking I could complete it in 2 days. I was wrong. I'm only about 60-70% done and its back to the office tomorrow. I hope I get to complete it over the next 2 nights. Its been awhile since I had blistered fingers from hand sewing. I swear it's cathartic.

The past 4 days have been really productive and I feel like I've found my joy and peace, out of the love of doing what I do. It'll be another 3 and a half weeks of ad agency life before I resign and go back to working as a freelance designer at home and focusing more on my personal art projects. It's quite sad though, cos I really love my colleagues and I'm gonna miss the lunches and laughter and jokes with them. But I'm doing this for me. I can't wait!!

Have a good week ahead!

No comments: